Lassie was a American television series which originally aired
from 1954 to 1974. It is seen in syndicated reruns as Jeff's Collie
and Timmy and Lassie.
The star was Lassie, a Rough Collie, billed as "the world's most
famous dog" and a fictional character who has starred in many movies,
TV shows, and books over the years.
On the 1954-1974 television series, Lassie had a series of owners, the
first two being Jeff Miller (Tommy Rettig) (reruns of this era were later
syndicated as Jeff's Collie) and Timmy Martin (Jon Provost). Both were
farm boys frequently helped out of scrapes by their super-intelligent dog.
Jan Clayton starred as Jeff's mother.
After Rettig finished 4 seasons, the child actor wanted to be released
from his contract, and the story was written to have the Miller family
give Lassie to the Martins in one of the most memorable episodes. June
Lockhart, who had previously appeared in the movie Son of Lassie, took
over the role of Timmy's mother from Cloris Leachman.
After Provost also outgrew the role, an adult master, Ranger Corey
(Robert Bray) came, and, near the end of the series, Lassie struck out on
her own, with no regular human master.
An animated adventure called Lassie's Rescue Rangers aired
Saturday mornings from September 1973 to August of 1975.
The Lassie theme song, "Whistle," was written by Les Baxter.
The Miller family
- Tommy Rettig as Jeff Miller (1954-1957)
- Jan Clayton as Ellen Miller (1954-57)
- George Cleveland as George (Gramps) Miller (1954-57)
The Martin family
- George Cleveland as Timmy Martin (1957-1964)
- Cloris Leachman as Ruth Martin (1957-58)
- Jon Shepodd as Paul Martin (1957-1958)
- June Lockhart as Ruth Martin (1958-64)
- Hugh Reilly as Paul Martin (1958-1964)
- George Chandler as Uncle Petrie (1957-64)
The Holden Family
- Ron Hayes as Garth Holden (1972-1973)
- Skip Burton as Ron Holden (1972-1974)
- Joshua Albee as Mike Holden (1972-1974)
- Larry Wilcox as Dale Holden (1972-1974)
- Larry Pennell as Keith Holden (1973-1974)
- Pamelyn Ferdin as Lucy Holden (1973-1974)
- Sherry Boucher as Sue Lambert (1973-1974)
- Arthur Space as Doc Weaver (1954-1964)
- Robert Bray as Corey Stuart (1964-1968)
- Jack De Mave as Bob Erickson (1968-1969)
- Jed Allan as Scott Turner (1968-1970)
The role of Lassie was played by a succession of dogs descended from
the Pal, owned by brother animal trainers Frank and Rudd Weatherwax. Pal
and Rudd Weatherwax are credited with making the role famous in the first
Lassie movie, 1943's Lassie Come Home.We've not had time to write about this TV show yet. If you were a fan, we'd love to have you help us out by writing a synopsis or review!